Are you planning to read Keep Him Close with your book club? I’ve put together some questions and discussion points for you to help get conversation and debate going.
If you have read the book and have any other suggestions for the kind of topics or questions you would want to discuss, please feel free to post in the comments below.
Here are the questions (NB. POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT! I don’t give much away here, but you might want to read the book first…):
- Which character in Keep Him Close would you most like to meet?
- Who did you prefer, Alice or Indigo? Why? Who did you care about more?
- How did the two women change through the story? How did your opinion of them change?
- Other than Alice and Indigo, which was your favourite character? Why?
- Alice has a favourite son. If you’re a parent, do you think you prefer one of your children? Or do you just relate to each child in a different way?
- It is Indigo who takes her son to the police station. Would you encourage your child, or someone in your family, to talk to the authorities, if you were worried they could face punishment?
- Alice lives with a prison at the end of her garden, and the man accused of murdering her son is inside it. How do you think you would cope with this situation, if you were in her shoes?
- Could you ever forgive someone who lied to you, as Alice does to Indigo?
- Alice and Indigo have very different mothering styles – how would you describe them? Which do you think is a better way of parenting?
- Alice thinks that showing emotion is weak. Do you agree?
- Would you tell your wider family if a member of your immediate family was arrested or charged with a crime? Or would you keep it a secret for as long as possible?
- How did you feel about the ending? Was it what you expected to happen?
- If you could ask the author of this book one question, what would it be?